Sunday 29 November 2009

Venus Flytrap


Here are the final Venus Flytrap models


First i uploaded a reference picture onto a plane. I then created a box and manipulated the vertices to get a basic outline of the head.


This was then turbosmoothed.


Next i extruded several polygons from the top outside of the head.


And then I modified the ends of them to give them more of a spike shape. I did try to just collapse all of the corners at the top of each extruded spike and it did work. However it shrunk the spikes by about half the size, so this method proved to be the better of the 2, despite it taking longer.


I then shrank the size of each one and turbosmoothed it once again.


Then i mirrored the completed side and rotated the 2 pieces a little to get the merge of the head at the bottom to become more seemless.


Next i created a cylinder which would act as the stem of the flytrap.


I then created another plane with a leaf teaxture applied to it and placed it above most of the stem.


Next i used the Soft Selection tool to give the stem a more jagged look to give it more realism.


Then the texture for the head was applied, and the model was placed upright.


Once i had completed the open mouthed Venus Flytrap model, i thought i'd do another one with a closed mouth. So I went back to an earlier save file and edited it a little.


I then repeated the stem process for the other flytrap model.

I am quite please with the outcome of these models. They have turned out better than I expected. And now to add a background to it...

2 comments: